One Day At a Time

One Day At a Time
Allen Family: Est. November 16, 2007

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oh the joys of working with children

Before I begin this post, I would just like to make it VERY clear that I absolutely LOVE my job!  As most of you know (the 3 people that actually read my blog) I work at an elementary doing After School Club. Today was intense...Hadley, our site coordinator was not at work.  Usually, if I have a discipline problem, or any problem really, I just send that kid to Hadley and she takes care of them.  Well, today was different...I felt the weight of the elementary world on my shoulders.  There is this adorable little boy in Kindergarten.  One little problem...he can't seem to "hold it" if you know what I mean.  So my friend, Aiko, brings little, we'll call him Joe, into the office and tells me that he's had an accident...his second one today and he has no clothes to change into.  So he tells her he needs to go number 2....20 seconds later, he walks out of the bathroom with one shoe on and says, "I pooped my pants"...AWESOME! I do enough of that at home, I'm not changing a poopy bum at work!  So I call his mom, for the second time that day and tell her that she has to come and pick him up because we're not allowed to do that (I may have fudged a little...so sue me!  you would have done the same thing).  After I get off the phone with her, I realize Joe still has only one shoe on so I decide to walk down to the boys bathroom and pick up the other one.  When I get back with his shoe, backpack, coat and pee soaked pants in a plastic bag, I realize he has peed AGAIN!!!  On the floor in the office, there is a nice puddle and his little sock is SOAKED.  So I go into the sick room and grab the paper towels and begin to clean up the mess.  He is sweet and helps me by stepping on the towels with his soaked little sock...yeah, that's totally helping.  He is so cute and nice that I can't even be upset.  When his mom got there, he started crying because he wanted to eat snack with his friends at the table.  BROKE.MY.HEART!!!  I felt so bad for the little guy.  Just breathe, for tomorrow is a new day :)

1 comment: