One Day At a Time

One Day At a Time
Allen Family: Est. November 16, 2007

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Carter is FINALLY here!

I'm still getting used to life with Carter around but it's so great! Now that he's here, I don't know how I ever lived without him! He's fantastic and I love him more than anything! So here's what happened...we scheduled the c-section for Tuesday, October 26...well, my baby decided that once we had it scheduled, he could come whenever he wanted because, well, that's just how it's been the entire time. So Friday morning, I'm laying in bed (sorry this is kinda gross but whatev) and I felt like I had just started my period, so I stood up and WHOOSH! Yep, my water broke and it's TOTALLY like it is in the movies, only way worse! So I wake John up and tell him, his response is "Jessica, it's 10 o'clock in the morning!" (He works a swing shift so 10 AM is super early for him ha ha, and I was prego so I slept in as much as possible because I couldn't sleep at night...don't judge). I really just laughed when he said this...it's so typical of him, but it was funny. So I go into the bathroom and wow...if you don't want to hear about this, please skip to the next paragraph. But for reals, has anyone else had their water break??? It's freaking ridiculous! I had John go upstairs and get me some pads, I stood up and 3 second later sat down because I'd leaked through them already...he ended up bringing me one of the baby's diapers...that lasted about 30 seconds ha ha ha. We're so clever. I called the hospital to let them know I was coming in and asked them what they suggested...the nurse told me about the only thing I could do was put a towel in my pants and come to the hospital...AWESOME! So that's what I did. John put a garbage sack and a towel on the seat of our car seat so I wouldn't soil it...again, typical John ha ha. By the time we got to the hospital, my pants were soaked to my knees. It was pouring rain out and the parking lot was PACKED so John went and got me a wheelchair and wheeled me up to labor and delivery with a towel in my lap so I wouldn't be embarrassed lol. He's so sweet. So I get in the room and my FAVORITE scrub tech, Amy is working WAHOO! Her kids go to my school and come to the program I work for. I love them and she is so great! She just jokes with me about how my water breaking is totally "Hollywood". Some people just have a little leaking...nope, I'm not that lucky ha ha. So I go change into my little smock thing and John goes to check me in. I come out and I'm literally leaving a little "snail trail" on the ground. Everyone just laughed...awesome. So I lay down and Amy hands me a towel and says "Just put it between your legs, it'll help". Ha ha, my life is so awesome!
So the nurse comes in, her name is Candis and she's totally awesome too! She asks me all the routine questions...yadda yadda. Then she and John start giving each other crap, I love people who get John's sense of humor...it makes for fun times! Crystal showed up with Wilbur, the freaking cutest giraffe I've ever seen in my life...here we are with him...Everyone who knows us, knows how silly we are and how much we love each other. We had so much fun with the stinkin' giraffe, it made time go by really fast. When they brought John his scrubs to wear during surgery, we just had to put them on Wilbur. And here he is, Dr. Wilbur, ready for surgery :)

Anyway, Candis comes to put my IV in and I'm not gonna lie, I was kinda freaking out. I was way more worried about her sticking that needle in my arm than I was about them cutting a baby out of my stomach...seriously. I have the tiniest veins known to man and people have a tendency of missing and having to re-stick me, or heaven forbid, fish....ugh! I hate even thinking about it! Anyway, she put it in and made it on the first time! YAHOO!! I knew I liked her. I was feeling a little faint so I laid back, almost passed out, but made it through. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my sister-in-law, Stacy, was scheduled to have a c-section Friday as well. She had hers at 1 and I had mine at 2. So after waiting a couple hours in labor and delivery, the wheeled me to the OR. While we were waiting, they told me about the Spinal Block that I'd be getting and I wasn't really nervous about it. When we got to the OR, they sat me on the table and told me to lean forward and have really bad posture. The anesthesiologist was super cool! John and I both really liked him. He poked me with some Lanicane to numb me and then he gave me the Spinal. It really wasn't bad at all. John held my hand the whole time. He's a champ. After he was done, they hurried and laid me back because you get numb SUPER fast and they don't want you to fall off the table. So I laid back and they immediately started prepping me. I was amazed at how fast everything happened. They prepped my belly with alcohol. That was definitely the weirdest feeling in the world. It felt like I was in a swimming pool and someone was waving water in front of my belly really fast, but not touching me...if that makes any sense at all. Then they put up the "blue sheet" which means it's sterile. John and the anesthesiologist stayed up by my head. John wanted to watch the whole thing. He was totally fascinated by it all. I told him not to tell me what was going on but he said they already cut me open. I thought he was just joking but the anesthesiologist said "no he's serious". Again, I couldn't believe how fast it all happened. They told me I was going to feel some pressure up by my chest and they pushed on it twice. My doctor kept saying, "whoa he has a big head"...great. Lol. After the second push on my chest, I heard the most glorious sound in the world, the cry of my baby! They brought him over to me and showed me his beautiful face! Then they hurried over to weigh him and clean him off. They weighed him and told me he was 8 lbs 14 oz. So no 10 lb baby for me ha ha. He was still pretty big but that just means there's more to love! John went over and got pictures while I, I assume, was getting stitched up and all that jazz. The nurse brought over a clean Carter and snapped this precious shot of our little family.

After this, they took Carter to the nursery to do all the stuff they do there...not sure what ha ha. John went with them. Then after I was all stitched up, they wheeled me into recovery where they took all my vitals and such and after a bit, they brought me Carter so we could have "skin to skin" and I could nurse him for the first time...boy was that a weird experience but there's nothing in the world like it, that's for sure. Then they took him back to the nursery to have a bath and get a shot and check his blood sugar etc. and I went up to Mother/Baby. When I got to the room, I saw the only other person I'd want to see, other than John, my Cryssy Sissy. My mom hadn't made it yet because she was in the hospital the night before which is a whole different story...ask and I'll tell. My mom showed up about 20 minutes later along with John's parents. They had already been to see Stacy (John's sister) and little baby Brooklyn (who weighed a measly 6 lbs 1 oz. ha ha just kidding). We waited, for what seemed like years, when John finally showed up with Carter. I didn't even get to hold him before everyone else had to get their hands on those squishy lil cheeks. There were so many people in and out...that night was kinda a blur. But I did get a few GREAT shots of Johnny Poo changing the first poopy diaper. And anyone who's had a baby knows how disgusting those first few poopy ones are. I think John used at least 10 or 15 wipes to get his butt completely clean ha ha.

He did a great job though. I just love these 2 so much! Like I said, the rest of the night was pretty much a blur but here are some more fun shots from the rest of the days at the hospital.Carter and Brooklyn, side by side...he is HUGE!

Cute Halloween Onesie I bought for him a couple weeks ago...I'm super glad it fits him lol.

Hanging out with daddy while I was in the shower.

I love this picture because John isn't even looking at the TV, he's just marveling over our beautiful baby. Such a cute daddy :D

Outfit we brought him home in. This is what I wanted his pictures taken in but they told me, right before we left, that they took his picture right after he was born. They had 35 patients that day and to save on time, they just took all the pictures right away. I was a little bummed but oh well.

FINALLY home and they both zonked out ha ha. I love this picture with all my heart! John just LOVES snuggling with our little guy. It melts my heart!

Well, I think that's about all! Thanks to everyone who was so supportive and loving towards me and John while I was pregnant. I'm so glad Carter is finally here! It feels like our lives have finally begun and I know they're going to get a lot more interesting :)

6 comments:

  1. Haha so many parts of this made me laugh! Especially the whole water breaking thing because I did not experience that since they broke it for me! SO FUNNY...and sucky! Its also funny that John used like 15 wipes because I swear thats what scotty does too! Im like dude... come on. Reading this makes me excited to have a baby again! (someday) Birth is so awesome and this time right after is bliss! Be careful of the baby blues! You can talk to me if you think you might have it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was quite the story but i loved reading it. Sounds like everything went well and as planned. Congrats on having such a cute little guy. I bet its the best feeling in the world to be a mom now. Keep posting how everything goes. Congrats again!! I love babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is such a cute! That is halarious about your water breaking! I wish my kids weren't sick so we could come see you! It has been fun working with john he is a great guy! Oh did they count your organs to make sure they had them all back in? ha ha that was the funniest part I thought. How was getting the staples out I hated that part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess what a cute little boy!!! I am so happy to hear that everything went well. I can't wait for our little girl to come!! Seeing your lil' guy gets me so excited for our day!!!! Keep me updated!!! Hope you are feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone!! Symony, I found out that they put the dissolving stitches in so no staple removal. I was excited about that lol. I hope I wasn't being gross or too detailed but that's how it all went down so i thought i'd share my joy with everyone ha ha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So precious! I'm excited for you and your little family. Daddy and baby pictures are my favorite. I have so many shots of Scott taking naps with the kids. Congrats and I can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete