One Day At a Time

One Day At a Time
Allen Family: Est. November 16, 2007

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Emotional Day :(

I guess I'd better let everyone know what's going on today. So I went to the doctor as planned. When I got called back, I realized I didn't recognize the ultrasound tech (I have been getting one every week or so, I know them all). When I got back to the room, the other tech told me that she was a training radiology student and that she was going to be performing my ultrasound...no biggie. It took a really long time...I get it, she's learning. She got all his measurements, listened to his heartbeat etc. The other tech had to jump in a few times just to help out...that's what she's there for, right? So after all is said and done, she asks me if I want to know his estimated weight. "Hit me with it...I'm ready", I thought. When she told me, I almost had a heart attack...let's just say that. I really don't even want to put on here what she said but for, what I'm sure will be curiosity's sake, I will go ahead and tell you...10 FREAKING POUNDS AND 4 OUNCES!!!!!!
Needless to say, I was almost on the floor. I had 2 ultrasounds...one 3 weeks ago and another 2 weeks ago and they both said he was around 7.8 or 7.9. How on earth could he gain almost 3 pounds in 2 weeks?!?!? is that even possible???? When I left the ultrasound room, I was close to tears. I knew if I had to talk about it, they would overflow out of my eyes and that would be the end of it. So I walked out to let the secretary know I was ready to see the doctor (again, not MY doctor, he's still out of town). After waiting a few minutes, the nurse called me back...did the usual, weighed me, I peed in a cup...but when she took my blood pressure, it was OBVIOUSLY elevated...I just found out my kid is a GIANT!!!! Of course my blood pressure is going to be higher than normal! I told her why and she totally understood. She also told me that at 38 weeks, she had an ultrasound that said her baby was 9.4 and at 39 weeks, she delivered an 8 pound 4 ounce baby...so I know they're not always accurate. That's what I'm praying for in this case. I think since the tech was a student, there is definitely room for error...right?! Anyhoo, I went into the office and waited for Angie, the doctor I was seeing today. She came in and asked me how I was doing...I immediately burst into tears. Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm very emotional and very sensitive. She handed me a tissue and told me she knew exactly how I felt. She is the same doctor I saw when my doctor was out of town last time...the one that shared the wonderful story about her first child ripping her so badly that she never wanted to have another child...but I still like her...weird? I dunno. Anyway, she just told me that she didn't have any special instructions from my doctor but that he wasn't going to be back in town until Thursday...I was under the impression that he was going to be back on Wednesday and he was going to look at my ultrasound and call me to let me know if he wanted to induce me Thursday. Once I found this out, I cried even harder because I was just so frustrated. I just wanted answers and I wasn't able to ask questions to the right person...yeah, I was frustrated. After I calmed down a bit, she told me she was going to measure and check me and listen to baby's heartbeat. Still just dilated to a 2...of course...measuring right at 40 weeks so he's freaking ready in there! She told me to call the office Thursday morning to talk to Dr. Horsley. I was still upset...this just didn't seem like a good answer to me but I didn't have much of a choice and I'm never one to disagree when someone tells me something, even if I'm screaming inside my head, that's just how I am, get over it. So I left, still very upset. I had to call my sister because she is my rock through all of this. I'm of course crying really hard when I get into my car. My sister is talking about driving up here and giving the hospital a piece of her mind (we're complete opposites when it comes to confrontation). She would do it too. While I'm on the phone with her, I get a call from the hospital. The scheduler told me that she just talked to Angie and she thinks that I should come in on Thursday and talk to Dr. Horsley instead of talking to him over the phone. This is a big decision and she thinks it should be done in person...I agree. So basically, we'll be deciding if I'm going to get induced or if a c-section is a better option at this point. John is coming with me of course...this involves him just as much as it does me. I'm going to let the doctor give me his opinion on what he thinks I should do. If he thinks I can deliver him vaginally, I am going to try it, but if he even thinks for one second that I should have a c-section, I will most likely do that. If I get induced, it will more than likely be on Friday (the same day my sister in law is having her c-section, go figure) and if I have a c-section, it will probably be scheduled for early next week...just depending when he has an opening I guess? My gut tells me that he is still going to suggest induction and I'm totally fine with that. I'm just a little nervous that I'm going to be in labor for 20 hours and be so tired, only for them to tell me that he's too big and I have to have a c-section anyway...but that's a risk I'm willing to take I guess. Who ever thought that having a baby would be this much of a hassle?! ;)
I honestly deserve all that I'm going through right now. It has been a SUPER easy pregnancy thus far and I know a lot of women have HORRIBLE pregnancies so I got really lucky. I think I deserve to have a little trouble now because it was so easy from the start. Now that this post is about 10 pages too long, I guess I'd better end it since you're all probably falling asleep at your computers ha ha. Thanks for reading :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh man Jess! My heart ached for you as I read your post! I know at this point you are just wanting this baby out and most likely sick of people giving you advice! But I will share a little story anyway (: I went 41 weeks and 2 days with Trig. I only had 2 ultrasounds 1 at 10 wks and the other at 20 to see how he was measuring and what the gender was. And then nothing after that. I had no idea how big he was and we couldn't guess because I was early and Dallin is a twin so he was smaller anyway. I did deliver a 9 lb baby, I did tear, and I was sore for a few days and my systems "down there" took a few months to recover all the way from it. . .but in the end it worked out. I almost did have a c-section after being in labor for 18 hrs but we decided to wait a little longer and I finally dialated. This is a huge decision for you! Totally do what you and John feel is best. Pray about it and you will know what to do to bring God's precious spirit boy into this world. You are in my prayers and I am wishing you the best! I would do childbirth all over again! I loved the feeling of how close I felt to the baby and my heavenly father. It is an amazing experience and if I can give you any advice. . It would be to enjoy it as much as you can, It's stressful, it's hard, but it is one of the most memorable spiritual experiences I have ever had in my life. Again good luck! and I am keeping your family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jess I'm so sorry it can be very frustarting when your at the end you just want him out and healthy and everything to be all right good luck with everything you will be in my prayers and I know your dad is watching over you, good luck let us know what you decied...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so much, sis. You are being such a brave soul right now and Shane and I wish you all the best!! Please keep us posted on what happens. Know that our prayers are with you and we are here if you guys need ANYTHING!!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am guessing that the tech is wrong. They say that in the last month babies will usually gain 1 pound every 2 weeks. My guess is he will be almost 9 lbs, which could be totally doable. In my opinion I would try it vaginally you don't know yet, you could be made to carry and deliver big babies and not have a hard time delivering. You will be under good care, so, so what if you tear you will heal. And so what if you end up having a c-section, you will heal. Everything will work out and you will have a handsome little guy here in a few days. And really once he's here all of this will be a blur to you. You will just remember that overwhelming spiritual first few minutes with him that will make everything worth while. I wish you the best of luck and I can't wait to see pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! It's really SO great to hear your stories! It makes me feel so much comfort. I have decided that I'm going to do it vaginally if at all possible. I feel, in my heart, that that is how I am supposed to do it. We are going to talk to the doctor tomorrow and unless he absolutely forbids me (I doubt it), I'm going to tell him I want to be induced instead of doing a c-section. Then, if I labor, and end up needing a c-section, so be it, at least I tried. Thanks again everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awful! I'm actually kinda pissed at your doctor isn't like "Lets get this huge kid out now!" Aren't they worried about him being under a lot of stress?? Just get an epidural and you will be in birth giving heaven! Rock was 8 lbs 14 oz (Huge-o!) and I didn't feel a thing. Anyways I hope you have a baby by the end of this week!! RELAX PLEASE!!

    ReplyDelete