One Day At a Time

One Day At a Time
Allen Family: Est. November 16, 2007

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What a day!!!!

Alright...here we go. So today started out like any other day...woke up, had breakfast etc. John had to wake up early so he could go to work early. He has to leave for a few hours to work on the house. So we shower, get ready, he leaves yadda yadda...I go to my doctor appointment. So yeah, I go in for my ultrasound...as you all know, I had to get another ultrasound because Carter has been measuring big my entire pregnancy and they just wanted to make sure everything was ok. I am borderline diabetic with the pregnancy so they're assuming that's what's causing it. So she told me that he is head down, which is good...he's not going to be a breach baby. I was a little nervous about that. I asked, since John couldn't be there, if she could get some pictures for me. She said she'd be lucky if she could because when they're head down, it's hard to get a good picture of their face...well she got lucky and here is the result...


isn't he freaking CUTE????? I just love him already! He's got cute squishy cheeks and pouty lips :)

After the ultrasound, I had to see a different doctor because mine is out of town. She was absolutely awesome though! I got a flu shot and then she told me that according to the ultrasound (which sometimes they are right on and sometimes they are WAY off so who knows...) he is already 7 pounds 9 ounces!!!! Someone please kill me now!! I just can't believe he is already THAT big!! I hope and pray, that for my sake, this is one of the times when they are WAY off! Please pray for me...
The doctor I saw was freaking me out telling me the story of her 9 pound 10 ounce first child and how she ripped during delivery. She said the recovery time was way worse than if she would have had a c-section but no one gave her that option. She pretty much told me that if my doctor even mentions the word c-section, take him up on it. I never thought I'd even CONSIDER a c-section before today but now it's not sounding like too bad of an idea...especially if he's going to be freaking 10 pounds when he gets here!!! On your first baby, they usually won't induce you until you're 41 weeks, but he's pretty much going to be a toddler when he comes out if they leave him in there that long!!! I'm hoping my doctor will see reason when I have my appointment on Monday and let me schedule something for sooner than that...if not, I'm just going to have to try some other methods to have him when I want him ha ha.

So after my appointment, I went to work and carried on with my day like normal...until we got done with announcements. I was feeling some pain so I stood up, which usually helps, but today it made it worse. I tried to play it off like I was totally ok...but I was not ok. I had a club today so I had to get everything all ready for that. We took the kids outside and I explained to them what we were going to be doing and then I let them loose so I could go sit down. I was in a lot of pain. Everyone kept asking me if I was ok...I wasn't lol. So after work, I went home and laid on the couch. I decided I'd better start timing the contractions like they tell you to. They were usually about 10-12 minutes apart and that's not good for only being 35 weeks. I called the hospital and the girl told me I could talk to a doctor if I wanted but if I was having contractions, he would just tell me to come in and get checked...so that's what I did. My mother-in-law took me to the hospital, I checked in, peed in a cup (for the second time today), had my blood pressure taken, and I got hooked up to a heart monitor for baby, and a contraction monitor for me. When I got there, my contractions were about 1 and a half minutes apart according to the monitor. The nurse was not happy about this so she went and talked to the doctor on call and he said I had to have a shot to stop the contractions. I can't remember what it was called but that thing hurt WAY worse than the flu shot I had earlier. The nurse told me it would make my heart rate increase way fast and make me feel like I had just ran a marathon...it made me dizzy and want to throw up!! Not fun! It did what it was supposed to though and stopped the contractions. I had to get my blood pressure taken every 15 minutes for an hour before they'd let me go home. I also had to get my cervix checked for the first time...boo!!! That was so NOT fun!!! But she said I was only about 40% effaced and not dilated so once the contractions stopped, they let me go home. So not a fun experience!!! I think me being so freaked out about him being so big was the reason I was having the contractions...I stressed myself right out. But I'm glad I went to the doctor or who knows what would have happened?

Well...that's my fun day. Thanks for reading ha ha.

5 comments:

  1. That happened to me twice before the girls came, I just kinda got used to it. Lol Tributline was the shot you got though. That stuff is awesome at stopping contractions! Don't those monitors itch though??? I'm glad you and Carter are doing well though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you got it! That's what the shot was called! It made me have a lump in my arm though...freaking hurts! ha ha. And yes, the monitors were itchy! We're doing good...just getting ready to have him here ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man!! What a story. I had to go to the hospital when I was 38 weeks because I hadn't felt Trig move in nearly 16 hours but he was fine. It is totally scary though. I would say don't worry about a big baby. Trig was close to 9 lbs and I did tear and I was super sore for about 4 days and then just stiff but I hear c-sections are much worse! But it is totally up to you and in the end do what you feel comfortable with. But if you get an epidural that works well then you won't even feel it! Good luck!! It goes by super fast! Make sure to have a few more John and Jessica days because we have only been able to have one since Trig was born! You will appreciate days like that more for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a massive tear with my first baby and while I hurt for a few weeks, I can't imagine the pain of a c-section. It's major surgery where they separate your muscles where they shouldn't be. You're body is supposed to stretch for birth so it rebounds a lot faster. Not to mention a c-section will limit the number of future children and you might not have a vaginal birth ever. If it comes down to needing a c-section then it's for the best, but if you have a choice don't do it. Definitely get the epidural! It's my best friend. If you're worried about the pain of the epi, it's nothing compared to contractions. Too bad we don't live closer to see you guys more often. Good luck on the last weeks of your pregnancy! Love, Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm totally doing an epidural...I'm not scared about that. I just don't know...I guess I'm really just going to have to see how it goes. If my doctor thinks it will be best for me and baby to have a c-section, then I will do it, but if at all possible, I'd like to do it vaginally if he's not TOO big. If he decides to make his arrival in the next couple weeks, I don't think it should be a problem. Jaime, I wish we could see you guys more often too! It's been WAY too long! We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete